If this year taught me anything, it’s that time doesn’t slow down for anyone. It’s time to start carpen all those diems.
What were your highs and lows of 2017? My highest and lowest point of 2017 was quitting my job of three years. I honestly imagined myself working there much longer, until I got settled into my career. As with everything in life, things started to change, and I started to change. There are moments when I have slight regrets about leaving, but everything in life happens for a reason.
Every year, we come up with some kind of New Year’s resolution. It’s a fresh year and a fresh start, and we’re determined to make it better than the last. I would like to actually follow through with my goals next year. Right now, I have a few goals I’d like to complete this year to set myself up for an amazing 2018.
1. Get a valid license. I’ve been illegally driving for way too long, and all I need to do is take my road test so my goal is to finally get a driver’s license!
2. Make a good impression at my new job. So I’m starting a new job on Tuesday, and my main goal is to have a steady income so I can get a car, and I’d also like to save a set amount so I can move into my own place next fall. My goal is to be promoted to manager, so I want to prove that I’m a great, dependable worker.
3. Find an official hairstylist: So, I have a nut allergy, and I used this oil in my hair not realizing that there were some nut-based oils contained in it. Needless to say, my body was extremely off balance for quite some time and I experienced a lot of hair breakage. I would like to work on maintaining healthy hair and wearing more protective styles. I usually go to different stylists, but I would like to stick to one good stylist.
4. Work out from home daily. I’m not going to pretend I’m going to join a gym anytime soon. I would like to get into the habit of working out from home. Whether it’s doing some crunches or taking a walk around the neighborhood, I’d like to do something active every day.
5. Morning and evening meditation. The goal of meditation is to focus and quiet your mind, eventually reaching a higher level of awareness and inner calm. I would actually like to add this to my daily routine and give myself just a few quiet moments to relax.
6. Prioritize healthy habits. In addition to adding exercise to my daily routine, I would also like to eat healthier. It’s something I’ve been wanting to do for quite some time, so I’d like to actually follow through and get into the habit of planning out meals and buying healthier food.
7. Publish a post daily. I usually start working on a few posts at a time, and they sit in my drafts forever, until I get the motivation to finish. Posting daily has been a goal I’ve wanted to achieve for the past few months, so I’d really like to work on getting more content on the site.
8. Purchase a planner or calendar for 2018. I would love to be a lot more organized and productive next year, and a planner would be a lot with focusing on anything that needs to be achieved. As a Christmas present to myself, I might actually create my own cool planner.
9. Help cook Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinner. I don’t know what my grandma’s secret is, but her food is always amazing. This holiday, I’m going to cook along with her, and hopefully, some of that talent will rub off on me.
10. Drink tea instead of pop, and drink more water. I drink way too much pop, especially at work! An ice-cold Coke is my biggest weakness, but I’d like to try to cut pop out of my diet. It’s going to be a working progress, but I want to drink more tea and water instead.
11. Explore two new places. I’ve lived in Ferndale for too long, and I’ve barely experienced all the awesome little places around the city. I’ve been trying new places, and I’d like to continue doing so. Before the end of the year, I’d like to explore two new places.
12. Declutter my closet. I’ve been wanting to redo my wardrobe and organize the clothes that I currently own. I would definitely like to have my closet organized by the end of the year.
13. Reach out to an old friend. My high school friends were amazing, and I seriously miss them all! I’m kind of horrible at keeping in touch with people, but I’d love to get back in touch with some old friends.
14. Volunteer. This is something I always talk about doing, but I never follow through with. So I’m definitely going to volunteer, and I’m actually looking into it now so I can set something up for the Christmas season.
15. Stop procrastinating. I have a major problem. It’s no longer a bad habit, it’s become who I am. I need to stop procrastinating. Actually completing everything on this list will be one step towards a much better life.
16. Read more. I used to read all the time! I even stayed up all night once to finish a book. I’ve been wanting to read more classic novels and explore different genres. There’s actually a really cool bookstore in Ferndale with super cheap books, so I’m going to build my collection up and read more.
17. Learn a new skill. My final goal for 2017 is to learn a new skill or at least get a start on developing a new skill.